Butlocks Heath village green
Welcome to Butlocks Heath Village
The parish of Hound, comprising of Netley, Butlocks Heath and Old Netley, derives its name from a plant called 'Hoarhound' which once grew profusely in the area and was more commonly known as 'Stinking Roger'.
The Bunney / No.11, forms part of a 21 home estate known as Old School Close. So named, as they are built on the site of the former Butlocks Heath Primary School situated at that time along Woolston Road.
The Bunney: Is a narrow, long strip of historic woodland in the valley separating Ingleside, Netley from Butlocks Heath and runs along the back of Old School Close. Access to this area begins from Netley Railway Station and is limited to footpaths to Butlocks Heath. It is owned by Eastleigh Borough Council and managed by Eastleigh Countryside Service and is part of the ‘Hound Nature Trail’ which adds to the greater area known as the ‘Hamble Valley’. It is recorded on the 1838 tythe map for Hound as being part of Butlocks Common.
Ingleside house: The house was built in 1888 and was occupied by a senior Doctor from Netley Hospital, Sir Almroth Wright, Professor of Pathology. In 1935 it was occupied by an Army Captain. The last owners may have been the Meikle family?
The Bunney: The southern part of the site is thought to have formed part of a Victorian garden once part of the Victorian Ingleside Estate, which accounts for the occurrence of exotic species such as rhododendron, Monterey pine and bamboo. Whilst walking through The Bunney you are likely to hear several species of woodland bird such as Jays, Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Robins.
There is a beautiful short walk throughThe Bunney from Abbeyfields Close through to Stenbury Way.
Ingelside estate: The land was sold Cira: 1978/9 and new homes were built by Laing Homes, forming the new Ingleside estate. Before the named Ingleside estate was built in the late 1970s, Netley Abbey and Butlocks Heath were two distinct villages within the Parish of Hound. Separated by three named houses; Ingleside, Leigh Grange, Oakhurst and their lands.
There was a private road, away from the main St Mary's Road, running along the boundary of Ingleside and this then formed into a Foot Path after the Foot Bridge. The Foot Path continued and ran alongside of 53 Woolston Road. Today the remaining part of this Foot Path still runs through 'The Bunney', over the Foot Bridge, up through that which is now Abbeyfields Close and along the side of 53 Woolston Road, the General Store.
|Local children on The Bunney foot bridge 1906
||Local child on The Bunney foot bridge 2011
Butlocks Heath Village
Comprises of a General Store and two pubs, The Cottage (Wadworth) and Roll Call (Free House / Phoenix Brewery). They are all along Woolston Road.
There is also the village hall, Hound Parish Hall, surrounded by a playing field with marked football pitch, for the junior league, two children’s playing areas and a skate board ramp. Adjacent to the hall grounds, we also have the Parish Council Allotments which are sited off Woolston Road. These are all within 400 metres.
The playing field backs onto Priors Hill Copse, which is an impressive area of oak woodland and managed by Hound Parish Council. This ancient woodland provides an attractive area in which to walk.
Footpaths lead to the Butlocks Heath Reservoir which lies to the north of Priors Hill Copse. The reservoir was dug in Circa: 1870 for the new Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley to supply the ablution water. The hospital was opened in 1863.
The privately owned reservoir can be viewed from the public footpath, running along the dam wall. During the Summer several species of dragon fly and damselfly can be seen skimming over the water and the lilies. Many waterfowl visit the peaceful haven and Kingfishers can often be sighted.
Recycling Facilities are sited within The Cottage Inn and Hound Parish Hall car parks. A BT Pay Phone is sited along Woolston Road adjacent to the Parish Public car park.